On June 7, 1973, discussion began on starting a third Christian Reformed church in Sioux Center, Iowa. The first service of the new “Third CRC” was held on August 12, 1973, in Sioux Center Christian School’s gymnasium and by September of that same year 49 families signed the “Declaration of Intention to Affiliate with the Third CRC.” By March 1974 the name, Covenant Christian Reformed Church, was adopted by the congregation. We continued worshipping in the SCCS gym until we purchased the building we currently worship in from First CRC. We moved from the gym to our present meeting place in February 1982. In November 1997 our congregation held a ground-breaking ceremony for an extensive addition/remodeling project. By November of the following year we were able to worship in our newly remodeled sanctuary and by early 1999 the entire building was in use.
- Dr. Franklin Steen, our first pastor, served our congregation from January 1975 until October 1981.
- Rev. Gilbert Kamps became our second pastor in July of 1982. He led our congregation until he left to serve another congregation in December 1987.
- Rev. Harry Weidenaar became our third pastor in August 1988. He left in March 1992 after accepting a call as pastor of another church.
- Rev. Daniel De Groot served as Covenant’s fourth pastor beginning in July 1993. Pastor Dan left Covenant in August 1999 to serve in another capacity.
- Rev. Herman Van Niejenhuis accepted Covenant’s call to be our fifth pastor and was installed in July 2000. He retired in June of 2012.